2.07.2007

break it down, break it up


Band of the day: the adorable duo "Mates of State"

I wasn't sold on these guys until I saw them play in Chicago awhile ago. They are just full of bouncy energy -- he plays drums, she rocks out on the keyboard, and they both sing with all their little hearts! I love watching a band that is clearly having so much fun. There are many videos on their website. My favorite song with a video is at the bottom for "Gotta Get a Problem." Seeing the two of them singing together, bopping heads and laughing in that video draws a clear picture of what their life at home must be like... or so I think. It's not great background music, but it's awesome sunny day driving music. Hear more, of course, on myspace.

I think that the best video, visually, is this one for "Fraud in the 80's":



Mates of State are touring this month with This American Life. What a great live show!

Non-sensical spam of the day:

The highlights of the second half for me were "Elation" with Simon appearing to give it every remaining bit of emotion he had, and "Julie". The two others did not respond to phone or e-mail messages.

The two others did not respond to phone or e-mail messages. How often have you heard that about a support band?* Overall I don't know if I'm just a miserable old bastard or what but this gig was a big disappointment.

* a "support band" is an opening band in the UK...

Labels: , , ,